Come experience winter in the northwoods of Minnesota with the very best ambassadors of snow—Alaskan Huskies! Dogsledding is an open invitation to wildness and terrific fun. Our dogs include skilled veterans and enthusiastic youngsters, patient and well versed in working with beginners. They are friendly and huggable and extremely well cared for (following trips, many women declare they want to be reincarnated as one of our sled dogs).
The Wild Institute carefully designs trips that combine fun and adventure with time to relax and unwind. Many women choose our trips, in part, out of a desire for some quiet reflection time, the camaraderie of other wonderful women, and to connect with nature. This trip combines the joy of romping in the snow with the introspection of the hibernating season.
I look forward to traveling with you.
Ready to get Wild?
If you are long over-due for a breath of fresh air (the real kind) and a Wild adventure, we are excited to share the joy of sled dogs and the fun of mushing with you!
- To be immersed in nature and celebrate winter
- To get to know and hang out with the huskies
- To go on a dogsled ride in the woods
- To listen to poetry and native flute
- To laugh and have fun
- To snowshoe or ski our private trails
- To have an experience so different than your day to day
All are welcome—come on your own or with friends or family
Group size is typically limited to 4
No experience necessary. We’ll introduce you to our friendly huskies and teach you how to be a passenger on a dogsled (there are a few things you need to know that will help you be part of the team). These days are designed around letting the loveable and exuberant huskies and the beauty and stillness of winter settle your nervous system, feel connected to the natural world, and rejuvenate your Wild spirit.
- All equipment is provided, you just bring your personal gear (we’ll send a packing list so you’ll be sure to have what you need to be comfortable)
- Healthy and delicious lunch is provided, dietary needs can usually be accommodated
Full-day trips are $450/person; for kids under 40lbs the cost is $225/kid (they’ll ride with an adult)
Half-day trips are $250/person; for kids under 40lbs the cost is $125/kid (they’ll ride with an adult)
January 6th, 7th Fully Booked, & 8th
February 3rd, 4th, & 5th
March 10th, 11th, & 12th
- We specialize in women’s trips and on occasion put together mixed trips for families, friends, or work groups
- Many locations and activities are available, primarily canoeing, sea kayaking, hiking, dog-sledding, and winter get-aways; familiar stomping grounds include the Boundary Waters, Wisconsin River, Wabakimi Provincial Park, Northeastern Minnesota, Southeastern Utah, the Porcupine Mountains, and more
- Only a few slots are open each year, it’s first come, first served—we find a date that works for everyone, get people on board and excited, and craft a Wild trip